Pages

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Miscellaneous Miscellany

So, I'm mostly recovered from orientation. Sleep-wise, anyways. I'm still a bit tense today, partly thanks to what transpired last night.

I'd been working on stuff/talking with people online, and got off the computer at around 10:00PM, when my mom called me downstairs. She'd discovered that someone had inadvertently left the back door open, and our cat Tiger (A neutered indoor cat, mind you) was nowhere to be found around the house. At this point the household pretty much mobilized into search-and-rescue mode - checking every nook and cranny in the house, etc. Once we'd established that he was very likely not anywhere in the house, we grabbed flashlights and spread out to search the immediate vicinity of the house. Similar situations have happened before, and he was usually somewhere right by the house (e.g. in the garage, somewhere on the deck/porch, etc.). This time, however, we had no idea how long it had been since he got out - my guess being that the door was left open sometime just after dinner - and on that vein, how far he might have gotten.

So. We searched around the house for about an hour, but he was nowhere to be found. By this time it was past 11PM, and the seriousness was really starting to set in. We've got deer, foxes, the occasional mountain lion, etc. in the area, and any one of those could be a serious threat to an indoor cat. My dad and I decided to drive around the neighborhood to see if we could spot him - and at the very least, keep other animals away (Also, we were shining flashlights into neighbors' yards, which may or may not have come across in a strange way).

As we pulled back up the street after fruitless searching, we noticed my brother running down to meet us, with the news that he had seen and grabbed Tiger from under our across-the-street-neighbor's car. Seems he had been hiding out somewhere in their yard the whole time.

It turned out well, but the whole situation was pretty stressful. I'm a pretty logical and rational person, but I have limits, and I almost reached them last night.

On a less worrisome note, I found an interesting website today that claims to analyze your writing style and tell you what famous writer you are most like. Having put my blog entries in individually thus far, it seems that I write like a horrifying amalgamation of David Foster Wallace, Douglas Adams, and Kurt Vonnegut. Actually, that's pretty cool. Vonnegut has a lot of interesting stuff, as does Adams. I've never read anything from David Foster Wallace, but from what I'm looking at right now, it seems like he was something of a satirist like Adams and Vonnegut.

No comments:

Post a Comment