Pages

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Assorted Thoughts

So, I didn't get to bed until around midnight last night, and was up for a while after that just sitting around and looking at the moon. It's interesting to think: At the moment that you look at the moon, how many other people are doing the exact same thing? Who and where are they? Why are they looking at it? Will you ever meet them?

... It might even be interesting to organize a "holiday" of sorts, with all participants looking at the moon at the same time for some period of time, and just, well, thinking.

As a point of reference, my mom spent 4 years doing her residency in Detroit when I was a kid, and we only got to see her a couple times a month, at most. I can remember my dad telling us about how even though we were hundreds of miles apart, we could all look at the moon and know that she was there in Detroit, looking at the same moon.

Anyways, that's me philosophizing (read: rambling) a bit.

On a only-somewhat-related note, I've added a music list over on the right-hand bar, with songs that I've been enjoying of late.

Because I've got some time on my hands at the moment, I'll do a bit of explaining why I like them.

I've heard Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros a couple of times before, but only recently found the name and such. On a certain level, I think the song evokes the general feel of what I was just writing about with the moon, etc.

I just recently heard Perfect In Between by Champion, and like it for the exciting, triumphant tone that it has. I could see this one being used in an action movie, during some sort of exciting character reveal.

Speaking of triumph, Triumphant by Röyksopp also has an awesome tone. I saw a video of the song synchronized with clips from BBC's Planet Earth, and the two meshed almost perfectly. The song definitely brings to mind images of majesty, and is very aptly named.

One thing that I think would be awesome is a collaborative work by BT and Röyksopp. BT's got a pretty unique style that adds a lot of emotion and interesting themes to the electronic music that he specializes in, and Love Can Kill You, to me, is one of the best examples of this. For another one, try Forget Me.

Finally, Everyday by Carly Comando is an excellent contemporary example of how powerful an instrument the piano by itself can be. (There's plenty of classical examples, but it'd take a long time to list all of them. D:)

No comments:

Post a Comment