Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Minecraftventures, Part Something (and also some other stuff)

I've been on fall break this week. 'S been nice, having time to relax and do whatever instead of the usual routine of school. I also got the opportunity to see a couple friends from high school, which was fantastic. Had lunch with one on Friday, and today another came over for some fun times on Halo: Reach. I'll admit that I'm not very excited to be going back to school tomorrow, but it'll only be two weeks and then finals before winter break. I think I can handle it.

Anyways, I've also been playing quite a bit of Minecraft this week. The multiplayer mode was recently updated so monsters spawn at night, but we've currently got them disabled since they're a tad bit buggy. My major project this week was a tower based off of the Seattle Space Needle, and I just finished it earlier today. Here's some screenshots of it (Click for pretty large versions!):

A nighttime shot. The clouds actually pass right below the top area.

And a requisite sunrise shot.

According to Minecraft's dimensions of each block being 1 cubic meter, the tower stands just over 50 meters tall (the actual Space Needle is 184m tall) and is just 3 blocks below the vertical limit for building (hence why I wasn't able to add the top antenna-needle bit). A few modifications were also made to make it more suitable for building: the number of "legs" was increased from three to four (since I have no idea how to make an equilateral triangle in Minecraft) and the color scheme was modified quite a bit, since the only white blocks that I'm aware of are sand and cloth - sand being difficult to use since it won't stay up in the air if it isn't supported underneath by another block, and cloth being frustratingly difficult to obtain. Alternatively I could have used natural stone blocks, but you have to stick cobblestone in a furnace for a while to get those and it would have been rather time-consuming.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with the final result, though a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to properly build the top antenna and that the color scheme is a tad bit... patchy? I've already begun to plan my next construction project, which will either be a castle of some type or some sort of circular, gothic-esque tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment